Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed


The Courant: Help With Social Security and other Federal Agencies

January 25, 2013
Opinion Editorial

One of the most important jobs I have as your Federal representative is my duty to help constituents who are experiencing difficulties with the Federal agencies.  One of the most common requests for assistance my office receives are in response to problems with the Social Security Administration (SSA) or the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).  This is especially prevalent for our district's seniors.

For example, many seniors contact the Social Security Administration for questions on benefits, appeals or a new, duplicate, or corrected Social Security card, but are unable to find a remedy.

And seniors also contact CMS about their Medicare benefits and appeals, prescription drug services, health plan choices or a new, duplicate, or corrected Medicare card, but cannot reach a solution.

If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, my office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.

Please note that I cannot assist with any legal or court related disputes, and I am unable to work on cases that do not involve you personally.

Once you determine that your case is something I may assist you with, you must fill out a privacy release form regarding your case, which is available on my website or by contacting my Jackson Office at 517-780-9075.   Since the Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a)requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case, we must have the privacy release fully completed with your signature to proceed with your request. 

Finally, in order to best serve you, please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence with me about your case.  Useful and necessary pieces of information include:

  • Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
  • Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved.

Please contact my district office in Jackson at 517-780-9075 if you have any questions or wish to follow up or begin a request.

This editorial was published in The Courant on August 5, 2011.