A Unanimous Vote
A Unanimous Vote to Fight Human Trafficking
Human trafficking is an unthinkable crime and more needs to be done to stop it. This week the House passed my bipartisan bill, the Enhancing Detection of Human Trafficking Act, by a unanimous vote. It will strengthen our ability to identify the signs of human trafficking, assist victims, and properly refer cases to law enforcement so perpetrators can be brought to justice. After the bill passed the House, I joined with Speaker Ryan and House leaders to discuss our bipartisan efforts, which you can watch here.
Supporting our Troops
This week the House passed a strong national defense bill to fund the military, support military families, give our troops a much deserved pay raise, and help keep the American people safe. Our nation asks so much of our men and women in uniform, and we owe it to them to ensure they have the necessary benefits, resources, and equipment to carry out their duties.
Promoting Medical Innovation
The House passed the FDA Reauthorization Act this week, building off our important work in the 21st Century Cures Act. This bipartisan bill will help speed up the approval process for life-saving drugs, foster greater competition, and bring down costs for patients. It will also help ensure America remains on the forefront of medical innovation, and that good-paying jobs in the medical device industry remain here at home.
Boosting Small Businesses
I joined with Facebook and the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce for an event this week to help small businesses learn effective digital strategies to grow and succeed. Small businesses are the foundation of a healthy economy, and it was great to see more than 300 local entrepreneurs in attendance.
Celebrating Monroe County's Bicentennial
Founded on July 14, 1817, Monroe Country is the second oldest county in Michigan, and is named in honor of our nation’s fifth president, James Monroe. I spoke on the House floor this week to celebrate Monroe County's bicentennial and recognize the work of the Monroe County Bicentennial Alliance.
News and Pictures
- Detroit News op-ed | Find your skill set to succeed
- WLNS | Walberg anti-human trafficking bill passes House
- USA Today | House passes sweeping overhaul of law to combat human trafficking
- The Hill | House passes bill to curb human trafficking
- Monroe News | Walberg honors county’s bicentennial
- WLNS | Walberg Kicks Off Facebook Seminar to Help Local Small Businesses
- National Review | How the Feds Could Reform Crazy State Licensing Laws
- VIDEO | Walberg, State Leaders Discuss Ways to Combat Opioid Epidemic
- Meeting with Lyft drivers from Michigan to discuss the sharing economy
- Talking with Michigan soybean farmers about agriculture issues