Saving for school
Helping Families Save for Education
This week I introduced bipartisan legislation with my Michigan colleague, Congressman Dan Kildee, to give families increased opportunities to save for and afford the rising cost of education. The Helping Families Save for Education Act will expand the annual contribution limits on Coverdell Education Savings Accounts from $2,000 to $10,000 and increase the age of eligibility from 18 to 22 years old. As the mounting cost of higher education puts a strain on family budgets, we must tackle this challenge and give Michigan families greater flexibility to plan and save for college.
Srsly Chelsea and Srsly Dexter
Heroin and opioid addiction continues to affect communities across Michigan, and one important way to combat this ongoing problem is raising awareness among the next generation. This week I had the privilege of meeting with an inspiring group of students from Srsly Chelsea and Srsly Dexter. These young people are leaders in their schools and are doing exemplary work to educate their peers and help prevent substance abuse in their communities.
ShopTalk with Lenawee County Farmers
I had the opportunity to attend a ShopTalk meeting with Lenawee County farmers and discuss the Michigan Agriculture Environmental Assurance Program, conservation best practices, and the important role agriculture plays in our community.
Closing the Skills Gap
At an Education and the Workforce Committee hearing this week, we discussed ways to strengthen the workforce and close the skills gap by improving collaboration between employers and higher education institutions.
In The News
- Monroe News | Walberg discusses agriculture with Monroe County farmers
- Adrian Daily Telegram | Walberg and Dingell reintroduce VA bill
- Detroit Free Press | Legislators want more health data from VA hospitals
- Hillsdale Daily News | Walberg legislation passes the House
- Adrian Daily Telegram | Tech Center celebrates welding program's expanded classroom
- Detroit Free Press op-ed | Doing nothing on Obamacare is not an option