Helping our vets
Monroe County Veterans Fair
This week we held a Veterans Fair in Monroe County to help connect veterans and their families with resources earned with their service to our country. It was also a very special opportunity to recognize Vietnam veterans and present them with their 50th anniversary pins. Thanks to VFW Post 1138 and all the participating organizations for making it a success.
Service Academy Appointments
Nine students from Michigan’s 7th District have been appointed to attend a U.S. military service academy. These young men and women have shown exceptional dedication, character, and scholarship, and I applaud them on receiving this prestigious appointment. Click here for the full list of students.
Curbing Asset Forfeiture Abuse
We need to rein in civil asset forfeiture, and the Department of Justice's announcement this week to expand it is a step in the wrong direction. We've seen too many abuses of the system where due process rights have been violated and private property has been seized without charging the property owner with a crime. Earlier this year, I introduced the FAIR Act along with Senator Rand Paul to reform our forfeiture laws. Click here to learn more about this bipartisan legislation.
Protecting the Great Lakes
The Great Lakes are a magnificent national and natural treasure, and we have a responsibility to preserve them for generations to come. This week I was pleased to announce that the Lenawee Conservation District has been awarded three Great Lakes Restoration Initiative (GLRI) grants, which will help advance their important work to protect the health of our waterways and communities.
News and Pictures
- Detroit News op-ed | Find your skill set to succeed
- Monroe News | Walberg to host Veterans Fair
- VIDEO | Walberg: Protect Affordable Retirement Advice for Savers
- VIDEO | Walberg Discusses Ways to Lower Utility Bills for Michigan Families
- Meeting with Ducks Unlimited and other conservation groups to discuss the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Visiting the 64th annual Manchester Chicken Broil
- Attending the ribbon cutting for ATI Physical Therapy in Chelsea