Curbing forfeiture abuse
Curbing Civil Forfeiture Abuse
In recent years, we’ve seen a growing number of instances where the government has confiscated private property from citizens and small businesses without any criminal conviction—or even criminal charges. Under current civil forfeiture law, the system is ripe for abuse and has undermined the constitutional rights of far too many Americans. This week the House passed my bipartisan amendment that reins in this abusive practice. Click here to watch my speech on the House floor.
Reforming the Tax Code
This week, I met with members of the Jackson County Chamber of Commerce to discuss tax reform and helping small businesses in our community thrive. It's been more than 30 years since the tax code was last overhauled. We're working to lower rates so you keep more of your money, simplify the tax code, and make America more competitive. Click here to learn more about our plan.
Protecting Your Personal Information
The House Energy and Commerce Committee, on which I serve, announced a hearing with the CEO of Equifax to get answers about the unprecedented breach of consumers' personal information. In light of this breach, the Federal Trade Commission issued advisory steps to help protect your data, which you can read by clicking here.
Helping Our Veterans
On September 18, Congresswoman Debbie Dingell and I are co-hosting a Washtenaw County Veterans Resource Fair to provide veterans and their family members with access to resources earned through their service to our country. Later that day, we will be joining the Veterans Community Action Team and the Washtenaw Department of Veterans Affairs for a town hall conversation on veterans health care benefits and other critical issues. Click here for more details about the resource fair, and click here for more details about the town hall.
News and Pictures
- Ann Arbor News | Dingell, Walberg holding veterans resource fair and town hall
- Adrian Daily Telegram | Walberg meets with officials on opioid epidemic
- CNN | House tries to force DOJ's hand on asset forfeiture
- Reason | House Approves Amendments to Block Sessions’ Asset Forfeiture Directive
- Meeting with Wes Lutz from Extreme Dodge in Jackson to discuss tax reform and other issues facing auto dealers
- Assembling care packages for military personnel assisting with Harvey and Irma relief efforts
- Discussing ways to lower electricity prices for Michigan families with FERC Chairman Neil Chatterjee
- Meeting with Michigan representatives from the American Cancer Society to talk about cancer research